Image Map

Monday, September 23, 2013

Made By Me Mondays: DIY 5 Minute Fridge Magnets!

I recently read a post about how one blogger paid off over $27,000 worth of debt in just six months! That is pretty amazing am I right? I was inspired so the hubs and I talked about it and we decided that we were going to start abiding by some of Dave Ramsey's rules: 1) The Envelope Budget, and 2) The Snowball System for Paying Debt.

We don't have a ton of debt but we do have a credit card and my student loans from college. Those are killer!! We were actually considering buying a house and discovered that we could not afford anything in our area! I was so surprised! The main reason that we couldn't afford it was that so much of our monthly income was going to the student loans that the banks didn't think we could afford a big enough monthly payment for a house! My dreams of home-ownership were crushed and it was time for a change.  

Anyways, we committed to this budget system and I wanted to hang our envelopes up on the fridge but we don't have any fridge magnets....weird huh? I know..and since we just committed to not spending extra money, I didn't want to buy them so I decided to make them!


For this project you will need:

1) E-6000 glue or other strong glue (Click here to get yours where I got mine!)
2) Magnetic Strip
3) Glass Beads (like the kind that are about the size of a nickel)
4) Paper Towels

Step 1: Clean the glass beads with a wet paper towel


Step 2: Cut as many magnetic strips as you need but make sure to make them the correct size for your glass beads. I used 3 beads on each piece and I measured by lining the beads up on top of the magnetic strip.


Step 3: Before you glue anything onto your magnetic strips, make sure you are glueing them onto the correct side. I found out that my magnets were more magnetic on one side than the other so I needed to make sure that I glued the beads to the side that has two lines on it (see the picture below)


Step 4: Use your E-6000 glue to glue the glass beads to the magnets them to dry!



Step 5: Hang your cute new magnets up and enjoy!!


You can see in the picture above our envelopes that we use for our budgeting. We do $50/week for Eric's play money, $50/week for my play money, and $50/week for groceries since its just the two of us right now. I have to get our money out of the ATM each week and since you can only get money out of the ATM in multiples of $20, we always have $10 left over. My hubby came up with the great idea of adding a date night envelope and adding the extra $10 each week to that envelope. Once it hits $100 we have to use it! What a great idea from the hubs!

Now off you go to make some cute magnets and hopefully I've also inspired you to do a little home budgeting!!


 photo TheWellCraftedHome_zps26a4d5c3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I would love to hear your feedback!