Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

Made By Me Mondays #13! Mail Organizer!

This project has been a few weeks in the making so I'm glad to finally have it done and be posting about it! Here is a picture of the finished product and also what went wrong in the beginning:


1) I used a picture frame and I was going to cut slits into the back cardboard like piece of the frame so that I could slide the burlap bags over the slits but it looked TERRIBLE!

2) Since the cardboard piece didn't work out, I thought to myself - 'Why not just paint the glass?' So thats what I did and I ended up cutting myself on the glass.

There were a few other things that went wrong too but it was just a mess! I finally got it done though!!

**DONT FORGET TO SEE IF YOU CAN WIN A COACH GIFT CARD!! CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW**

Here is how I did it:

For this project you will need:

Burlap fabric (I got mine from www.burlapfabric.com)
Sewing machine
Picture frame (whatever size you would like)
White Paint
Decorative mini shower tiles

Step 1)

Take the glass and stock photo out of your frame and paint the cardboard piece on the back of your frame white.

Step 2)

Lay out your burlap fabric and measure the right amount of fabric for the pocket size that you want. You will be folding this piece of fabric in half in order to make it into a pocket so make sure to account for that as well as a quarter inch seam allowance. My fabrics measured 14 1/2" X 12 1/2". I cut two of these pieces.



Step 3)

Fold down the top of the 12 1/2" side and sew it (I used the zig-zag stitch because this fabric has lots of openings) so you can create a nice clean edge for the opening of your pocket. Do this on both ends of the fabric.


Step 4) 

Fold your fabric so both "hemmed" sides meet. You want the right sides of your pocket to be facing each other.

Step 5) 

Sew down both the sides and the bottom of your new pocket. You will want to leave the top open and you should be able to start sewing down one side and sew continuously until you reach the end of the other side.


Step 6) 

Turn your pocket right side out and iron your fabric so it lays flat.

Step 7) 

Use your white paint to paint the words "in" and "out" on the top of each pocket.


Step 8) 

 I used mod podge to glue your fabric pockets to the cardboard backing that you painted white in the first step. I just went around the back edges of my pocket and it worked great!

Step 9) 

Use the mod podge to glue the mini shower tiles down to your cardboard backing as a "frame"




Step 10) 

Hang on the wall!


I can't wait for Wednesday so I can see what you guys have been up to this week!

**DONT FORGET TO SEE IF YOU CAN WIN A COACH GIFT CARD!! CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW**

 photo TheWellCraftedHome_zps26a4d5c3.png
****Just a reminder that Google Friend Connect is going to be discontinued!! If you would like to continue following my blog, you can do so by joining BlogLovin! {It's awesome!} You can click here to find my blog****

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! I love the colors and the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, and what a great idea! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I would love to hear your feedback!