Image Map

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Made By Me Mondays #5: Popsicle Stick Art

Yay!! Its Monday! That means that I get to share my project from this week! :)


I have been on a mission to make the walls in my home full instead of bare and I think my mission is coming to an end! We don't really have a big home, its a two bed, one bath condo so I don't have a ton of wall space. I put my Peacock Mirrors from last week over our bed finally! (Click here to see how I made these!) Take a look:





Ok! Now on to this weeks project! I created some other art for our bedroom :) I made this art out of popsicle sticks which was super awesome and super easy!!

By the way, I went to Michaels to buy some popsicle sticks and they had a package of 50 for $3.99 and they had a package of 1000 (yes..one thousand!) for $4.99. This seemed like a no-brainer decision for me!

I'm not sure what I'm going to use 1000 popsicle sticks for but I'm sure I'll find something!

So the supplies you will need for this project are:

Frame of your choice (Michaels) - I took the glass and stock photo out of the frame and just glued the sticks to the backing
3 different paint colors (Michaels) - I used the Americana Acrylic Paint in Deep Midnight Blue, Neutral Grey, and Snow (Titanium) White (I combined the white with some of the grey to make a lighter grey for my third color)
Popsicle Sticks
Paint Brushes
Mod Podge (or some other adhesive)
    Step 1: 
    Paint the backing of the frame black. This is the front part of the board that has the hanging hardware on it.

    Step 2: 
    Paint 15 popsicle sticks for each color so 15 blue, 15 dark grey, 15 light grey

    Sorry I was not a very good picture taker!!

    Step 3: 
    Cut up the popsicle sticks into different lengths for a dynamic, puzzle-type look


    Step 4:
    Use the Mod Podge to glue your puzzle art down to the black background

    Step 5: 
    Once you have all the pieces to your puzzle glued down, you can put it back in the frame! I chose to leave the glass our of the frame. It looked good both ways though :) Here is the finished product:



    This project was a little time consuming but I really love it! I want to do it on a larger scale and make it more of a centerpiece but we will see if I ever have the time to do something like that! :)

     photo TheWellCraftedHome_zps26a4d5c3.png

    11 comments:

    1. That's so cool! I think it'd make a neat trivet too. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. WOW! I am going to use this as an excuse to ea a whole box of Popsicle today!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I would love to come and join you! :) That sounds like a good day! :)

        Delete
    3. Oh my gosh...1000 popsicle sticks! I can't wait to see what you do with all of them. This project is a great start. Looks fantastic. Thanks so much for linking up at Etcetorize~

      ReplyDelete
    4. That looks great and seems as if it could be adapted to a project for children, too.

      ReplyDelete
    5. This is so clever! I have a whole bag of Popsicle sticks that are just sitting around. I never thought to use them as art. I would love for you to link this to my link party! I know my readers will love it too. http://weliketolearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-i-learned-wednesday-10.html

      ReplyDelete
    6. So creative. See, my mind doesn't always work like that! Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays!

      ReplyDelete
    7. So cute!! I am a new follower, I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime:)

      Shannon@SewSweetCottage

      ReplyDelete
    8. Thanks for linking up to my party! I'm featuring this tomorrow. I would love for you to stop by and grab a featured button.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Really cool!

      Thanks for linking up with me at last week's Drab to Fab! Hope you'll come back this week and link up again. I love seeing what you're up to!

      http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/05/drab-to-fab-link-up-features.html

      Amy @ Sugar and Spice

      ReplyDelete
    10. Oh, wow, I love this! I'm going to have to start buying popsicles, lol

      Visiting from Just Us Four

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for responding to my post! I would love to hear your feedback!